A little bit of History
The idea of forming a bowling club originated early in 1930 in The Royal Oak in Kitters Green by members of the Abbots Langley Cricket Club who had become too old to play cricket but wanted to remain active. Major Drake the tenant of Manor House was approached for a piece of land to use for a Bowling Green which he sold to the newly formed club for the sum of £60 (this is now Langley Road)
The club officially opened on 31st May 1935 and has remained at the same site ever since. In The late 1950’s the ground was sold to the parish council for one shilling(5p). The club initially leased the ground from the Parish council on the understanding they would carry out maintenance on the green. As time moved on the Parish council were unable to keep this arrangement for various reasons, so an agreement was reached that the club would take responsibility for the maintenance of the green which is still the case today.
Over the years the club has had its fair share of ups and downs with some success in the District competitions and some dark days when the club looked lost. Perhaps one of the lowest points was post covid when the club lost all its Lady members and was seeing a decline in membership. However, since that point the club has been given renewed vigour with an influx of new bowlers both Ladies and Men who have reversed the fortunes of the club both on the rink and in the club’s infrastructure.
Today we see a thriving club with well run management providing access to the game of Lawn Bowls in a safe and extremely friendly environment.

MEET THE TEAM

Roy Foster
Club Chairman

Paul Henderson
Club Captain

Chrissie Bond
Ladies Captain

Steve Tincknell
Club Secretary